Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cooking with chilies

So I have a lovely crop of chilies on my chili plants - long orange ones, medium red ones and the hot orange Habaneros, but too many for one person to use (I think) even one who likes hot (ish) food. I also had an abundance of cherry tomatoes from my garden, even though I eat them as snacks. So it was time to find some preservable chili and tomato recipes.
My chilli crop.

Number 1 - the old staple Chili Jam. Great for use in Thai stir fries and noodle dishes like Pad Thai. Keeps well in the fridge for weeks if not months.
Recipe
oil for cooking
3 tbsp dried shrimp
7 long red chilies, chopped
20 Asian shallots, sliced
10 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tbsp tamarind puree
6 tbsp palm sugar (or less to taste)
1 tspn shrimp paste

Heat the oil, then cook the dried shrimp and chillies for several minutes.
Remove from heat and blend with the other ingredients in a food processor until a rough paste is made. Extra oil might be needed to make it liquid enough.
Return the blended contents to the saucepan, bring to the boil and cook for 30 mins or so until the mixture goes dark and thick, but be careful not to let it caramelize.

The cooked jam.
Number 2 - a new recipe for me Tomato and Chili relish.
The recipe can be found here. I took someone else's advice and halved the sugar content, and I think that will work better taste-wise. I also halved the vinegar content, as the vinegar sugar ratio affects the setting of the relish.
The cooked tomato and chili relish

 I'm not sure where I'll use this yet - perhaps on sandwiches or as part of a nice summer salad, but it tastes fantastic and spicy, in both a chili and a spices way.


The finished products.


Number 3 - Mango and chili sambal

Meant as a condiment to Indian dishes, this also makes a fantastic little tropical side salad.

For 1-2 people, take 1 mango and chop into diced squares. I usually just halve a mango, and dice it in the skin, then cut the skin off.
Add 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger, 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves and 1 finely chopped long red chili. Mix well and enjoy.
This would probably be better with a slightly greener mango, but depends on your tastes.


Mango and chili sambal
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment